As supplied by the erudite Kalabari
* Mr. Daboikiabo Jack ©
1. Bishop Ajayi Crowther with Capt. Babington comes to Elem Kalabari
2. Kalabari Civil War breaks out, 1879 - 1881. War between Chief Will Braide and the rest of the Kingdom. It was called the Obia
3. Bakana (Oba -ama) co - founded by two illustrous Kalabari
sons - Chief Igbanibo Will-Braide and Chief Amabaraye Iyalla (India John Yellowe, originally from Tombia) disperses from
Elem Kalabari and settles in its present site, 1881.
4. Abonnema (Nyemoni with original name as (Isiowu ama) disperses from Elem Kalabari and settles in its present
site, 1882; second largest Kalabari town. Chief Isiowu Oruwari (Young Briggs or Ebu) first came with the entire Akiala group
and settled there in 1881. In 1882, the houses of Owukori, Iju(Jack) and Otaji joined him.
5. Buguma (Asari) and Obuama
disperse from Elem Kalabari and settle in their present respective sites, 1884. It was King Abbi Amachree IV with his
able men - Chief Goerge Amachree , Ikiri Johnbull and Omekwe Horsefall who brought the remaining groups of kalabari houses
6. St. Andrews Church
founded at Bakana under Rev. F.D.Garrick, 1885
Crowther Memorial School established in Abonnema, 1889.
8. Tombia originally called Nyankpo.
9. Ilelema (corrupted from the original
name Lolo ama) - a kalabari town that emigrated from Benin (called Iselema by the Kalabaris) to its present site about 1118AD. It is beleived to have been funded by King Lolo.
and Ilelema are the oldest Kalabari Towns followed by Angulama.
☺ Home ►
☺ Historical Entries ►
☺ Kalabari Cosmology ►